What We Do
The natural beauty so many Michiganders love is facing some serious threats:
- Coal fired power plants and other forms of dirty energy are threatening the air we breathe, the waters we love, and the fish in our Great Lakes. In order to move toward cleaner and more efficient forms of energy we must increase our state's energy efficiency and renewable energy standard.
- Large amounts of water withdrawals put our Great Lakes waterways at risk. The oil and gas industry is a large-scale water user but doesn't play by the same rules as other water users in the state. We must level the playing field by requiring the oil and gas industry register its water use and report all chemicals used in horizontal fracking.
- Michigan's public lands are at risk for overdevelopment and unsustainable resource extraction. We must educate the public and legislators on the benefits of land for biodiversity, non-motorized recreation, and sustainable resource use.
To find solutions to these challenges, we must build the strength and the power of environmental and conservation voters. The long-term objective of Michigan League of Conservation Voters Education Fund is to strengthen the environmental and conservation community as we grow a base of conservation-minded voters around the state.
A key part of that strategy is year-round education efforts for the responsible protection, maintenance, and preservation of our natural resources. Much of that work is reflected in the key publications produced by the Michigan LCV Education Fund. We also empower and mobalize Michigan citizens to take action on the issues they care about through our Conservation Action Team.
Our major programs aim to:
- Increase the relevance of conservation and environmental issues in the legislative and electoral debate.
- Educate and engage the public on behalf of Michigan's most pressing environmental issues.
- Increase the capacity of partner organizations to mount effective advocacy campaigns.
- Increase civic and voter engagement for Michigan's environment.